Sunday, April 17, 2011

Get to Know a Grad!

Name: Rachel Nagorsky

Hometown: Glenview, IL

Undergraduate University/Degree:
B.A. Interdisciplinary Studies

What brought you to IslandWood? To get a Masters of ED in a small and individualized program that focuses on environmental education.  I also liked how we got to teach/practicum as we're learning, so you get to apply everything right away.

What is your favorite thing about IslandWood so far? The community, from the second we got here we were so welcomed and appreciated.  It hasn't stopped yet.

What is your favorite thing about Bainbridge Island/Seattle/The Puget Sound so far? Getting to live on an island that people vacation on and never want to leave.  Makes me really appreciate where I get to spend my day-to-day.  In Seattle, I like getting to bike around everywhere, especially the Edward Myrtle trail along the water.

Who would you want to play you in the movie version of your life? Anne Hathaway

Quick! Someone gave you 100 bagazillion dollars! What do you do with it?
Travel.

Who do you most admire and why? My sister because she knows what she wants and gets it, making it look effortless, even though she is the hardest worker and most determined person I know.

What do you think you might do after IslandWood?
Be a garden educator.

Final thoughts?  Man, I love this program!

3 comments:

Chris and Amy said...

Hi! I just came across the program and was wondering if it's a 1 or 2 year program. Also, are people finding jobs that make them happy upon completion? Lastly, can people with pets live off site and just commute in? Thanks for the help, Amy

Roxann said...

Hi Amy,

IslandWood is a 1 year program resulting in a certificate in Education, Environment and Community. To get your Masters of Education you could go to UW your second year or even Antioch for your Masters and teaching cert. Most of the people I know of have great jobs teaching at various types of places (outdoor schools, classrooms, camps, etc) or working at non-profits. Some past grads even work at IslandWood!

There are several people who live off-site, with pets or spouses and commute daily.

Hope this helps!

Chris and Amy said...

Thanks so much! I've found myself with the opportunity to create a new life for myself. Now I just need to figure out what to do! :) thanks again!