Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Celebrating Gratitude!


As I settled back into my cabin in the woods yesterday, I took a few moments to reflect on what I am grateful for. My family and friends, the hug from my roommate, my Natural History class, the kale growing in the garden, the crisp sunshine sparkling on the frosty grass outside my door …

The list goes on. I have so much to appreciate, especially here at IslandWood. And although it is the season of giving thanks, as my Child Development professor shared with us a few weeks ago, practicing gratitude is an important ritual that should be cultivated throughout the year. It actually scientifically proven to make you happier! And healthier!

As the days get darker and the quarter gets busier, I want to remind us all how important it is keep in mind all of the things that bring us joy. Here are some amazing resources that have been really helpful to me in shaping my practice:

·      Check out The Greater Good Science Center at University of Berkeley. There is a database with articles and resources to help build gratitude both on an individual level but also in the classroom, and also has resources for other topics mindfulness, empathy, compassion and happiness.

·      Gratitude is contagious! Share your thanks and appreciate all of the good taking place around the world by using the World Gratitude Map.

·      Explore Yes! Magazine’s Teacher Resources for teaching happiness, resiliency, and community.

·      Keep a gratitude journal!


How do you cultivate gratitude and happiness? Post your comments below, I would love to hear your thoughts! 

No comments: